The original buildings date from 1819. In 1862 the prison was sold to the Government and converted into a prison for females. Twenty years later it was again converted, this time as a military prison, and in 1898, when it was returned to the Prison Commissioners, the buildings were enlarged and improved and made the trial and remand prison for the whole of the London area.
In July 2012, following a long history as a named prison, Brixton became a resettlement prison, housing category C/D prisoners. It no longer serves any courts.
Novus are responsible for the education provision at HMP Brixton. The group are the largest offender education provider in the UK.
Jebb Ave, London SW2 5XF