Hours: 26.90 hours per week, 52 weeks per year (0.7271 contract)
Salary: £18,015 - £32,578 per annum, pro rata
Closing Date: 1st May 2018
Description: HMP Huntercombe’s education department are looking for an experienced Business lecturer / tutor / teacher to deliver Business courses to a diverse group of learners within the prison. As a Business Lecturer within our Milton Keynes College Offender Learning team, you will help to develop a strong Business programme that meets the needs of the learners, prison and Milton Keynes College.
This is an exciting opportunity for a dedicated lecturer / tutor / teacher to deliver high learner success, through effective teaching and delivery in Business. This vacancy would suit a highly motivated Business teacher, with a can do approach to education. The ideal candidate will be a passionate and creative lecturer, who can thrive upon working within a challenging yet rewarding environment, who can offer skills & knowledge to our learners and guide them throughout their courses.
Milton Keynes College: Rewards
• 35 days annual leave pro rata, 3 additional days leave for Christmas to New Year closure and UK Bank Holidays
• Amazing discounts with NUS card or Blue Light Card , ranging from Eating Out, Shopping and Fashion, Health and Fitness, Music, Technology, Travel and Entertainment
• Access to an employee wellbeing platform with options to book free activities such as yoga, relaxation, boot camp, personal training and a health and wellbeing news hub
• Access to Teachers Pension Scheme with generous employer contributions
• Tax free childcare scheme
• Access to Continued Professional Development, including professional qualifications and a variety of training courses
• Save up to 32% off all bikes through our Cycle To Work Scheme
• 24 hours per day, 365 days per year Employee Assistant Support Programme
• Plus many more…
About HMP Huntercombe…
HMP Huntercombe opened as a prison in 1946, the site was originally built as an internment camp during the last war, when for a short period it held Rudolf Hess, on his way south after he famously parachuted into Scotland. Extensive redevelopment has taken place over the last twenty years and there is little left of the wartime buildings.
Currently Huntercombe is a Category C adult male establishment holding a solely foreign national population in order to support government priorities on the deportation of foreign national offenders. Courses delivered within the prison include P&D, Barbering, Multi-Skills, Hospitality, Business, PSD, Mentoring, Money Management, Art and ESOL. In addition, Functional Skills based courses including English, Maths and ITQ.
The education department working day is from 7.50am – 4.40pm Monday – Thursday & 7.50am - 1.30pm Friday
As a successful candidate, you will:
• Hold a relevant qualification (level 3 or above) in Business.
• Hold a recognised teaching qualification (DTLLS, PGCE, Cert Ed) or willing to work towards
• Hold relevant assessor/verifier awards.
• Have teaching/training or vocational experience in relevant subject area and relevant up-to-date knowledge.
• Have a proven track record of managing and supporting diverse groups of learners through nationally accredited programmes.
• Have experience of identifying, developing and sharing innovative and creative teaching resources
• Have experience of working with students who may have little experience of education and training (desirable).
• Have knowledge of current curriculum and accreditation developments within Further Education and specific subject area(s).
• Have the ability to teach creatively, adapting to the needs of a variety of learners and willing to explore new teaching and learning strategies.
• Have good IT skills and willing to develop further.
• Show accuracy and precision in written presentation.
• The requirement of this role is to work across the whole prison estate, on all wings where education is delivered.
More about the College
Milton Keynes College is proud to be an open and inclusive general Further Education College welcoming learners of all levels and delivering an exceptional educational experience. The College offers a broad range of qualifications with more than 3,000 16 – 18-year-old full-time students studying traditional A Levels, vocational courses, apprenticeships and Higher Education. In addition, the College delivers employability and key skills training programmes to 3,000 people in local community learning centres and is one of the largest providers of Offender Learning in England, working with 27 prisons across the East Midlands, South Central and West Midlands.
Milton Keynes College is a committed safer recruitment employer. We take extreme care in ensuring the safety and welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults. All positions therefore undergo a stringent vetting process to include DBS for all positions.
To apply, please follow the job board application instructions to submit your CV. You will then be sent an email directing you to the College Careers Portal to complete your application.